* Publications of Columbia Pacific University Grad “Four Arrows” (Don Trent Jacobs), PhD, EdD.
Four Arrows (Don Trent Jacobs) is currently a faculty member with Fielding Graduate Institute, ranked as the number one doctoral granting university for American Indians, and is associate professor at the university that is ranked as number one in Masters degrees for Native Americans, Northern Arizona University. From 1998-2001 he served as Dean of the Education Department at Oglala Lakota College. He holds doctorates in health psychology and also in curriculum and instruction (information taken from. Four Arrows is of Cherokee/Creek/Scots-Irish ancestry and is a Oglala SunDancer with Rick Two Dog’s Medicine Horse community.
1. Jacobs, D. (in press) Patient Communication Revisited. Westwood Publishing Company, Glendale, Ca.
2. Jacobs, D., Jones, R., and Wetzel, B. (in press) Change Schools Now! An Action Manual for Students, Teachers and Parents Who Care. Landham, Md.: Scarecrow Education Press, a division of Roman and Littlefield. (Contracted publication postponed due to post-9-11 censorship dispute)
3. Jacobs, D. and Jacobs-Spencer, J. (2001) Teaching Virtues: Building Character Across the Curriculum. Landham, Md.: Scarecrow Education Press, a division of Roman and Littlefield. 4. Jacobs, D. (1997) Primal Awareness: A True Story of Survival, Transformation and Awakening with the Raramuri Shamans of Mexico. Rochester, Vt.: Inner Traditions International.
5. Jacobs, D. (1994 ) The Bum’s Rush: The Selling of Environmental Backlash. Boise, Id.: Legendary Publishing.
6. Jacobs, D. (1988) Patient Communication for First Responders: The First Hour of Trauma. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall.
7. Jacobs, D. (1988) Physical Fitness Programs for Public Safety Employees, 2nd edition, Boston: NFPA.
8. Jacobs, D. (1981) Getting Your Executive Fit (Effective Organization of Fitness Programs for Business and Industry). Mountain View, Ca.: World Publications.
9. Jacobs, D. (1981) Happy Exercise: An Adventure Into the World of Fitness for Children. Mountain View, Ca.: World Publications.
10. Jacobs, D. (1981) Physical Fitness Programs for Public Safety Employees, 1st edition, Boston, Ma.: NFPA.
11. Jacobs, D. (1978) Ride and Tie: The Challenge of Running and Riding (1978). Mountain View, Ca.: World Publications.
12. Jacobs, D. (1976) Physical Fitness and the Fire Service, Boston, Ma.: National Fire Protection Association.
1. Jacobs, D (2002), Virtue Based Curriculum: The Process in Tom Allen’s Creating Sacred Places, National Indian School Board Association, Washington, D.C.
2. Jacobs, D. (in press) Militarism in Education: An Indigenous Perspective. In Gabbard, D. (Ed.) Education as Enforcement. Routledge.
3. Jacobs, D. (in press) The CAT-FAWN Connection and Partnership Education. In Eisler, R. and Miller, R. (Eds.) Caring for Life: The Essence of Partnership Education. New World Press.
4. Jacobs, D. (1999) Shamanic Initiation. In Millman, D. and Childers, D. Divine Interventions: True Stories of Mystery and Miracles That Change Lives. Emmaus, Penn.: Daybreak Books. 5. Jacobs, D. (in press) A Soul’s Healing Journey in Millman, D. and Canfield, J. (EDS) Chicken Soup for Body and Soul: 101
Professional Journal Articles (representative)
1. Jacobs, D. (in press) Way of the Brave in ORBIT-OISE/UT’s Magazine for Schools, Character Education Theme Issue, Canada
2. Jacobs, D. (in press) The Seventh What? In Paths of Learning, Issue 15
3. Jacobs, D. (June, 2002) Teacher-Parent Partnerships: Making Community Education Real for Indigenous Families in Issues in Indigenous Bilingual Education.
4. Jacobs, D. (2002) Stepping Stones and World Views in Paths of Learning, Issue 10.
5. Jacobs, D. (2002) Coming Out of Trance in Paths of Learning, Issue 11.
6. Jacobs, D. (2002) Spirituality in Education: A Matter of Significance for American Indian Cultures. Paths of Learning, Issue 9.
7. Jacobs, D., Reyhner, J., Atleo, E., Leech, D. and Martin, J. (in press) An American Indian Perspective on Character Education. In Smith, D. (Ed.) American Indian Culture.
8. Jacobs, D. & Reyhner, J. (Jan, 2002) Preparing Teachers to Support American Indian and Alaskan Native Student Success (ERIC Digest) Charleston, WV: ERIC Clearinghouse for Rural Education and Small Schools.
9. Jacobs, D. (August, 2002) Preparing Teachers to Support American Indian and Alaskan Native Student Success in ERIC Digest, Charleston, WV: ERIC Clearinghouse for Rural Education and Small Schools.
10. Jacobs, D. and Chief Eagle, Dallas (in press) Addressing Behavior Issues in American Indian and Alaskan Native Education, ERIC Digest.
11. Jacobs, D. (in press) How Schools Can Heal Native American Communities in ERIC Digest.
12. Jacobs, D. (Spring 2001) On Being Indian. Red Ink. Journal of the American Indian Studies Program, University of Arizona. 13. Jacobs, D. (2001) The Red Road: The Indigenous Worldview as a Prerequisite for Effective Character Education. Paths of Learning.
14. Jacobs, D. (2001) The Indigenous Worldview as a Prerequisite for Effective Civic Learning in Higher Education. Journal of College and Character, Vol. 2.
15. Jacobs, D. (1996) Mining the Gold. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Problems. Vol. 4, Issue 4.
16. Jacobs, D. (1996) The Red Flags of Persuasion. ETC.: A Review of General Semantics, Vol. 52, No. 2.
17. Jacobs, D. (1994) Focus on the Positive: The Language of Treatment for Youth Who Have Sexually Offended. Caring (Journal of the National Association of Services for Children), Vol. X, No 2.
18. Jacobs, D. (1994) Lost Youth or Criminals: The Contrasting Views of Brendtro and Samenow. Journal of Emotional and Behavioral Problems.
19. Jacobs, D. (1989) Healing Words. Journal of Wilderness First Aid.
20. Jacobs, D. (1989) Healing Words. American Survival Guide. 21. Jacobs, D. (1988) Hypnosis for Medical Emergencies in the Wilderness. Response. Journal of the National Association for Search and Rescue. Vol. 7, #4.
22. Jacobs, D. (1987) Altered States. Emergency. The Journal of the Emergency Medical Services.
23. Jacobs, D. (1987) Alarm Stress. Fire Command.
24. Jacobs, D. (1987) Vital Aid for Emergencies. California Fireman.
25. Jacobs, D. (1984) Emergency Hypnosis. Emergency Magazine.
26. Jacobs, D. (1982) Happy Exercise: An Effective Approach to Health Education for Children. Journal of Humanistic Education and Development.
27. Jacobs D. (1980) Opening Doors to Fitness. The Journal of Physical Education.
Miscellaneous Publications (non-scholarly but educational)
1. Jacobs, D. (2001) It’s Time for a Non-Violent Revolution on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. Native Cultures Online Magazine. 2. Jacobs, D. (2001) Dance of Deception. Mother Jones Magazine on Line.
3. Jacobs, D. and Broydo, Leora. (2001) USSD: The Drug War Comes to the Rez. MoJo Wire.
4. Jacobs, D. (1998) Words Can Control You If You Let Them. Truth Seeker Magazine.
5. Jacobs, D. (1995) The Connection (Between Horses and At-Risk Youth) Trail Blazer Magazine.
6. Jacobs, D. (1992) Old Number Seven. Western Horse Magazine.
7. Jacobs, D. (1989) Rebel. Western Horse Magazine.
8. Jacobs, D. (1988) Head Doctor. Backpacker Magazine.
9. Jacobs, D. (1987) Communicating with Horses. Sport Horse Magazine. (Note: As senior contributing editor for Horseman Magazine, I wrote more than 50 articles. The following are examples.)
10. Jacobs, D. (1991) Olympics Bound. Horseman Magazine. 11. Jacobs, D. (1989) Little Can Go a Long Way. Horseman Magazine.
12. Jacobs, D. (1988) The Challenged Horseman. Horseman Magazine.
13. Jacobs, D. (1988) Smoke. Horseman Magazine.
14. Jacobs, D. (1988) Smokey and the Bandit. Horseman Magazine.
15. Jacobs, D. (1988) Endurance Riding and Politics. Horseman Magazine.
16. Jacobs, D. (1986-1988) “Sharing Time Brings Closeness” in Marin Independent Journal is one of many examples of a series of relationship articles in this town’s newspaper from 1986-1988. 17. Jacobs, D. (1987) Mirror, Mirror in the Stall. Horseman Magazine.
18. Jacobs, D. (1987) A Safe Landing. Horseman Magazine.
19. Jacobs, D. (1986) Wild Horse Wrangler. Horseman Magazine.
20. Jacobs, D. (1986) Calm Training for a Wild Mustang Horseman. Horseman Magazine.
21. Jacobs, D. (1986) Powers of Endurance. Horseman Magazine.
22. Jacobs, D. (1986) Shoeing the Endurance Horse. Horseman Magazine.
23. Jacobs, D. (1986) Not a Bit. Horseman Magazine.
24. Jacobs, D. (1985) Riding in the Mind’s Eye Horseman Magazine.
25. Jacobs, D. (1985) Ten Pacing Tactics for Endurance Riding. Horseman Magazine.
Keynote Addresses, speeches, workshop presentations and papers presented at professional conferences
1. American Indian Spirituality, AERA Conference, accepted for April 2002
2. Teaching for What? (Invited Presentation) for Tenth Annual Conference on College Teaching and Learning, Ashland, Kentucky, October 9-12, 2002.
3. What Do We Value? Hopi (Invited keynote) Navajo and Hawaii School Board Members Conference on Standards. Flagstaff, AZ, April 1, 2002. Native American Grant School’s Conference Association.
4. A Matter of Significance. (Keynote) National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools National Conference. May 9, 2002. www.ncacs.org
5. The Case for the Inclusion of an Indigenous Perspective in Character Education in session titled Culturally Responsive Indigenous Education Research: Multiple Perspectives. (co-presenter) AERA Annual Meeting, New Orleans, April, 2002.
6. Walking in Thorny Places (co-presenter) American Educational Studies Association Annual Conference, Miami, Florida, November 2, 2001
7. Primal Awareness for Democratic Education. (workshop)2nd International Soul in Education Conference. Kauai, October 7, 2001.
8. Tribal College Leads the Way in Integrating Character Education for Teaching Preparation. (Paper) 2nd Annual Modern Native American Conference: Thoughts from the Past and Paths Toward the Future, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona, August 15-17, 2001.
9. A Model for Character Education. (workshop director) Taos Day School, July 2001.
10. Radical Integration: An American Indian Approach to Character Education, Presented at: Character Plus National Conference for Cooperating School Districts, St. Louis, Missouri, July 13, 2001.
11. Colonizing Education. (Plenary) The Second Annual Conference on Militarism in Education Kibbutzim College of Education , Tel Aviv, Israel, April 29, 2001.
12. Teaching Virtues Across the Curriculum: An American Indian Perspective. (featured speaker) Presented at: the 12th International Conference on College Teaching and Learning, at Jacksonville, Florida, April 17-20, 2001.
13. A Matter of Significance. 13th Annual International Conference on College Teaching and Learning (featured speaker), Jacksonville, Florida, April 10th, 2001.
14. Teaching Virtues, Keenan Institute for Ethics at Duke University, invited speaker, May 12, 2001
15. Tribal Colleges as National Leaders in Character Education. (keynote) Presented at: Heart in Education Conference, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, March 2, 2001.
16. New Life for an Ancient Way. (Paper) Presented at: National Association of Native American Studies, Houston, Texas, February 15, 2001.
17. The Red Road: An Indigenous Perspective on Higher Education.(Plenary) Presented at: Florida State University at the College Values Institute Conference, Tallahassee, Florida, February 9, 2001.
18. A Different Interpretation of Quality: A Challenge to Title II presented at: South Dakota Association of Colleges of Teacher Preparation, Pierre, South Dakota, January 5, 2001.
19. Panel Participant. John Dewey Progressive Educational Summit. 2000.
20. Character Education not Conformity. (paper) University of San Diego Character Education Conference. June 25, 2000.
21. New Life for an Ancient Way: Remembering Who We Are. Presented at: Principles of Ethics for Tribal Officials and Personnel, Rapid City, South Dakota, April 5 & 6, 2000.
22. Tribal Colleges as National Leaders in Character Education (keynote). Presented at: the American Indian Higher Education Conference, Cloquest, Minnesota, March 24, 2000.
23. Teaching Virtues. Keenan Institute on Character Education. Duke University, March 12 , 1999.
24. Primal Awareness. (workshop) Esalen. December, 1998.
25. Critical Pedagogy and Spiritual Dialogue: The Missing Partnership. (Paper) Pedagogy of the Oppressed Conference. University of Nebraska at Omaha, April 18, 1997.
26. The CAT-FAWN Connection. (Plenary) Fairchild Lecture Series. April 7, 1997.
27. Re-Education of Spirit for the Wellness of Self and Society. Wellness Conference in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, March 2, 1997.
28. The Bum’s Rush. (featured speaker) Idaho Wildlife Federation. May 6, 1995.
29. The Power of Words. Snake River Alliance. (Keynote) April 14, 1995.
30. The Selling of Environmental Backlash (keynote). National Wildlife Federation Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., March 20, 1995.
31. Positive Peer Culture. (workshop) National Association of Peer Group Agencies. Coal Valley, Illinois, October, 1994.
32. The First Communication: The Key to Effective Management. International Conference on Pre-Hospital Emergency Care. (Keynote) Brisbane, Australia. October 22, 1992.
33. Patient Communication. (Keynote) NCSCH. Bali, October 9, 1992.
34. Emergency Hypnosis. (workshop) Maricopa Hospital, Phoenix. April 13, 1992.
35. Healing Words. (featured speaker) JEMS 10th Anniversary EMS Today Conference. Albuquerque, New Mexico, March 12, 1992.
36. I also presented a number of workshops for hospital and EMS staff around the country on patient communication. 1988-1990.
37. Organizing Fitness Programs in Business and Industry. (workshop) University of California, Irvine. March, 1981; Dominican College, July 1981, Farmers Insurance, Nov., 1982. 38. Fitness in the Fire Service. (workshops presented in 1981 and 1982) Santa Barbara Fire Department, Modesto Fire Department, sparks Fire Department, San Anselmo Fire Department, Fairfax Fire Department, San Francisco Fire Department, San Jose Fire Department, Phoenix Fire Department, Los Angeles Fire department, Sausalito Fire Department, San Ramon Fire Department, Marin County Fire Department et al.
1. (1997) The Sacred Hunt. A Film by Randall Eaton, Ph.D.
2. (1994) Half Lives. Carolyn Jourdan, Director of The Nuclear Waste Documentary Project.
1. Jacobs, D. (1999) The Shaman’s Message. (self-produced). 2. Jacobs, D. (1992) Hypnosis for Medical Emergencies. Glendale, Ca.: H.T.I.